Friends of Launde Abbey Annual Retreat
Friends Retreat 2021
A retreat for Friends led by the Rt Revd Mike Harrison, Bishop of Dunwich in the Diocese of St. Edmundsbury & Ipswich, Suffolk: Bishop Mike is well known to many in Leicester as the former Director of Ministry and Mission and as a Trustee of Launde Abbey. The theme of the retreat will be Helpful practices through Advent, taking a look at some spiritual disciplines, habits of mind, heart and body which are seasonally appropriate and offer opportunities for deeper formation in Christ. The cost is £110 and some places are still available.
Friends interested in booking or in further details are asked to contact Mike Playdon, firstname.lastname@example.org. Mike writes: For a number of years now the Friends have been holding a retreat, which has included those who are “old hands” at retreats as well as those attending for the first time. Usually the retreat has lasted 24 to 28 hours, often being held in January or February – so far we have not been snowed in! There has been a variety of retreat leaders over the years, including leaders from United Reformed Church, Baptist and Salvation Army traditions as well as the Church of England. The retreats follow a fairly consistent pattern, with input by the leader, times of silence for individual or group reflection, worship with the Abbey community, opportunities for individual or group activity, suited to the theme, conversation at meal times, and walking. The pace is gentle and most people have found the approach accessible.
Feedback on past retreats:
- Interesting, relevant to our everyday lives, good use of stories, drawings and other material to provoke thought and discussion.
- Ideal pace length of session and engagement with us on an individual level.
- I valued the friendliness of the group, being with the Launde community for worship, and enjoyed being in the lovely Launde ambience.
- Gentle, calm, comfortable, inspirational.
- Stimulated personal reflection and engagement.
The Friends of Launde: Registered Charity Number 519042