Friends of Launde Abbey
Friends of Launde Abbey help practically, financially and spiritually to support the Abbey. Learn more about the Friends Committee, and about the next Friends Retreat. Or click here to find out how to become a Friend of Launde Abbey.
The Friends publish a regular newsletter which can be found here.
Over the years the Friends have played a significant development role at Launde Abbey. A decade of fundraising projects led up to a major refurbishment of the main building and the old stable block plus the creation of an art space in the old coach house, all completed in 2011.
Since then the Friends have raised funds for a number of important projects:
- Hearing Loop. In April 2022 a sound system and hearing loop was installed into our Drawing Room to improve the delivery of sound for those with hearing difficulties.
- Access Path. Completed in 2019, this runs from the main house to the stable block providing easier access for disabled users between the two buildings. It also provides a safer well-lit route for all visitors.
- Library Lighting. Installed in 2018 to provide better visibility when using the library.
- Greenhouse. The refurbishment of the original greenhouse situated in the walled garden was undertaken as the building was structurally deteriorating.
- Chapel Lift. The installation of the chapel lift was a major project which required reordering the vestry area. The installation of the lift was needed to give inside access to the chapel for all users who could not manage the steep stairs which lead down to the Chapel. Prior to this, lift users could only enter the chapel via an outside path.
- Hearing Loop. A sound system and hearing loop was installed into the Chapel to improve delivery of sound for those with hearing difficulties.
- Rose Garden. A rose garden has been reinstated outside the Chapel.
The Friends aim to continue funding projects identified by the Trustees.
The Friends also pray for Launde:
- Praying individually at home;
- Joining the community in their daily prayers at the Abbey; and
- Becoming one of the ‘Stretchers’ – a network of people who are committed to pray for Launde, who all receive a bi-monthly letter from the Warden with prayer pointers.
The Friends of Launde help in a variety of practical ways:
- Providing assistance at special events;
- Helping in the extensive gardens – if you would like to help, see the Launde programme for details of gardening retreats and other volunteer opportunities; and
- Working in Reception or with DIY and other jobs around the Abbey.
The Friends of Launde: Registered Charity Number 519042